Nov 10, 2011

A Potted Garden and Arugula Pesto

Gardening is about trial and error. Right? Please say yes, because for me it's mostly error.

This Fall, I had high hopes for my potted garden which includes broccoli, sprouts and arugula. These beauties were supposed to provide delicious, healthy side dishes at a fraction of the cost. Well, turns out broccoli and sprouts take FOREVER to mature. Small oversight.

Thankfully, arugula grows pretty quickly. It gives me the immediate gratification I need to have patience for the rest of the slowpokes to grow.



Although my arugula is coming along nicely, it isn't quite ready to be sampled. Watching it grow each day beckoned me to make what I consider to be the yummiest spread around.....arugula pesto. It's green. It's fresh. It's garlicky. It's the perfect compliment to chicken...or fish...or bread....or whatever the heck you want to put it on! It's a party for your taste buds. True story.

It starts with some delicious, spicy, fresh Arugula. Put a few handfuls in the food processor.


  Smash some garlic.


Add garlic, parmesan cheese, walnuts (or pine nuts), salt and pepper. Start to blend and drizzle olive oil while blending.

Blend blend blend until you reach a smooth consistency.


As I mentioned, this pesto can go on just about anything, but last night, I opted to pair it with fresh baked salmon.


Once salmon is done, spread a dallop of pesto on top. I sereved this main dish with rice and steamed broccoli. Lots of green = Lots of good.


The toddler and the husband enjoyed this recipe. No leftovers. Once my arugula plant makes its debut, I plan on making this recipe again. Any pesto you don't use, you can freeze which saves you time and money! Hooray!

Here is the recipe (Adapted from Arugula Pesto)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups packed fresh arugula
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/3-1/2 cup pure olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon walnuts
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions:

Add all ingredients to food processor, excpet olive oil. Beging blending on low speed and drizzle olive oil in slowly until desired consistency is reached (about 15-20 seconds).

No comments:

Post a Comment