Jun 29, 2012

4 Breakfasts Under 400 Calories


Eating breakfast is an important way to start the day. As a breakfast person, I usually have something in my mouth no more than 20 minutes after I roll out of bed. I've heard people say that breakfast is "the most important meal of the day" but from a metabolism perspective, it's one of three important meals of the day. So don't skip lunch or dinner; they're important too.

There's no ideal time to eat breakfast, it just depends on your preference and time schedule. For example, if you workout in the morning, it's good to eat something about an hour before you exercise. Whatever time you decide, eating breakfast helps jump start your metabolism and gives your body fuel to start the day strong. 

If you're like a lot of people, you may find yourself eating the same ol' thing most of the time. Cereal, eggs, toast, repeat. I like finding new ways to add variety while still allowing for a quick prep time. 

It's also important to make sure breakfast is nutritious and well-rounded. For example, try including a source of grains, fruit and/or veggies and protein. A lot of people forget to include protein with breakfast, but this is a great way to help you feel fuller so you're not starving come lunchtime. My current favorites are omega-3 fortified eggs, veggie sausage patties, low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese and low fat turkey sausage links.



Here are a few of my favorite healthy breakfasts that don't break the calorie bank.

4 Breakfasts Under 400 Calories

2 whole grain freezer waffles, 1/2 cup fruit, 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Veggie scramble with 2 slices of whole grain toast
(Scramble 2 eggs and add frozen spinach or your choice of veggie. Finish off with a sprinkle of american cheese. So yum.)

3/4 cup oatmeal (cooked) with raisins and cinnamon, 
1 hard boiled egg

2 slices of whole wheat french toast with 1/2 sliced banana, 
1 veggie sausage patty


2 comments:

  1. Love that top picture! I am always in love with other bloggers photography skills since mine boils down to pulling out the cell phone cam and snapping a shot. I know, I know, I'm talented (kidding)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks. I wish I could say that I used a high-tech camera to take that shot, but it was in fact my cell phone via instagram!

    ReplyDelete