Jun 13, 2012

Tomato, Corn and Cilantro Salad

 
Summer isn't officially here, but it was SUPER hot today. I knew when it hit 70 degrees by 8:30am that we'd be in for a hot one. When it reached mid-ninties by afternoon, I had to break out the kiddie pool for Will and I to cool off. Oh, sweet relief.

Preparing dinner on hot days like this makes cooking a chore. For starters, the oven's definitely OUT. Even the stove pushed my limits of comfort. I decided to try a new salad recipe that Kaiser Permanente sent me via their health e-newsletter. It has all the tastes of summer, is low in salt, but still has lots of fresh flavor. And the best part is I didn't have to turn on the oven.



Tomato, Corn and Cilantro Salad 
(Adapted from this recipe from Kaiser)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups corn
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Salad greens (optional)
1/3 cup feta cheese (also optional, but definitely recommended)
 
Preparation:
 
Mix everything together. Mound on top of fresh salad greens. Serve. How easy is that?
 
Nutrition information per serving:

Calories: 158
Fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Trans fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrate: 22 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 116 mg
Protein: 4 g


 This salad serves 4 people, so we had some leftovers. I made sure to keep the dressing and salad separate so the salad stayed fresh and didn't get mushy. I had it for lunch at work the next day. Caution: may (and definitely did) cause coworker lunch-envy. Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment