Feb 10, 2012

A Happy (and Healthy?) Valentines

I love holidays. I know, I know....it's Valentine's Day. I'm not completely sold on it being a totally legit holiday. But regardless, for me it's the perfect excuse to spend time with family and loved ones. Oh yeah, and eat some good food!

I'm not going to lie. I've been known to eat cookies and cupcakes on such holidays. And I'll be honest about something else too. I totally went to Starbucks this morning specifically for their cute Valentine's Day cups.....


I am happy to say there is no reason to fear indulgent food as long as you know how to enjoy it. Here are a few tips:
  • Think positive. Try to focus on foods that you can eat, rather than those you can't. Filling your plate with nutrient-dense foods like lean meats, whole grains, fruits and vegetables doesn't have to be a chore. Find some yummy recipes that incorporate these ingredients. Check out my Pinterest page for ideas.
  • Be mindful of portions. Enjoy the food you eat, but remember to pay attention to the signals your body sends when you're full. To stay in tune to these cues, eat slowly and enjoy every bite. That's not so hard, right? This way, you're more likely to stop when your full or go back for seconds only if you're actually hungry.
For our Valentines Day celebration, I usually make a nice meal at home for my husband and I after the little one is in bed. This year, I plan to do the same and am excited to try some super-yummy looking recipes. Here's the menu:

Skirt Steak with Lemon and Chili-Roasted Potatoes


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon (I plan on using turkey bacon instead of regular bacon)




For dessert, Chocolate Covered Strawberries


What's on your Valentine's Day menu?

No comments:

Post a Comment