Feb 3, 2012

(Best Ever) Whole Wheat Pancakes

The weekend is almost here and it makes me think of one thing: pancakes. In our house, pancakes are enjoyed every Saturday morning like clockwork. It's been that way ever since my husband and I got married, so about 6 years of dedicated pancake making. Initially, I started using the box mixes until I realized just how EASY they are to make from scratch. And like most foods made from scratch, they're WAY yummier. I was also bummed to see a lot of box mixes contain trans fat, so in an effort to keep my kitchen heart-friendly, I started making my own.

I definitely had to experiment - not all recipes are created equal! But I've found a winner. And best of all, it's healthy!


A few weekends ago, I experimented using whole wheat flour and vanilla almond milk (instead of regular low-fat milk). The result was simply amazing. Subtle sweetness, delicate texture and enough flavor to make you forget they're whole wheat. If you don't have almond milk, you can totally sub it for regular milk. They'll still taste awesome.

Like any food, portion control is still important even when you're eating healthy. I stick to 2 pancakes (about 4-5 inch diameter) and usually don't add syrup or butter spread. If you can't live without those toppings, don't worry, a little portion control with those goes a long way too!

Here's the recipe I used:

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups vanilla almond milk (sweetened)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Preparation:

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat egg and then add canola oil, vanilla and almond milk. If you like your pancakes a little thicker, add less milk. If you like them on the thinner side, add a little more milk. Once wet ingredients are well combined, mix them with the dry ingredients. The key is to mix as little as possible, so stir just until ingredients are incorporated.  Spread dallops onto pre-heated griddle pan (greased with a little Pam) and cook on medium heat. Once one side is golden brown, flip to cook the other side.

Enjoy with a freshly brewed cup of coffee or tea, some fresh fruit and good company. Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment