Nov 16, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

 Do you love pumpkin pie? Do you love it so much you could to eat it for breakfast? Me too. Truth be told, pumpkin pie is my favorite part of Thanksgiving. That, and the crisp fall weather. Leaves!

I wish I could enjoy pumpkin pie more often, but between the added sugar and buttery pie crust (oh that glorious crust), it all creates a big calorie bomb I try to limit to a few times a year. So sad. 

I decided I must create a version that is a.) guilt-free b.) easy to make and c) preferably healthy. The perfect canvas? Oatmeal. 

Oatmeal is full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and whole grains. And best of all, it's easy to make. To oatmeal, I added pumpkin puree, which also contains loads of good-for-you vitamins (like vitamin A and C) and is low in fat. It's a winning combo, both in the nutrition and taste department.

Making this recipe tells your family you love them. 

Start with your oats.


Will was my little helper (he likes wearing hats).

 
Grab your pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.


And here we go....

Recipe adapted from Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Serves one

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1-2 packets Splenda
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1 T maple syrup
Preparation

In a small saucepan, combine the water, milk, oats, pumpkin and pie spice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Next, remove from heat and add splenda, vanilla and about a tablespoon of maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment