Jan 20, 2012

Comfort Food, Re-Created

As the first trimester of pregnancy comes to a close, I am thankful for many things. Namely that nausea is subsiding and my appetite is making a comeback. Hooray for liking food again! In order to stay on track with weight gain, I've been re-creating my favorite comfort food cravings into healthier versions.

This week I made one of my childhood favorites: bagel bites! You know, those mini bagel pizzas? Maybe that was an early nineties thing, but I remember my Nana making them for us kids at family gatherings and OH MAN that platter of bagel bites was mine! All mine!

The healthier version I made is lower in fat and salt, but still packs that yummy bagel pizza flavor. Did I mention that - when you do give pizza to your kids - this is the perfect one because 1) it's easy 2) it's fast and 3) YOU decide how much cheese and salt to add? Go Mom! I served my delicious pizza creation with a salad for the adults and some peas for the wee one. There were no leftovers.


Tiffany's Bagel Pizza Recipe

Ingredients:

  • Your favorite bagel (I used parmesan)
  • Pizza sauce
  • Reduced-Fat Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
  • Garlic Powder
  • Dried Oregano
  • Dried Basil
  • Salt
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 450F. Slice bagel in half and smooth pizza sauce (as much as you like) over each half. Top with a small handful of shredded cheese. Next, sprinkle garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil and salt to taste. Bake in oven for about 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.

2 comments:

  1. YUM!

    I have a question for you Tiffany. My three year old son is not a big fan of veggies. I have been buying the V8 fusion drinks because they have a full serving of fruit and vegetables. Is this a good alternative if your child is resistant to eating vegetables?
    Are those fruit drinks as good as they're advertised??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Cameron! I'll post on that topic next :)

      Delete