Oct 21, 2011

Parmesan-Garlic Biscuits

Have I told you how much I love Pinterest? Seriously, I'm completely addicted.

But unlike a normal addiction, I try to use my Pinterest obsession for good.  That is, good food. For example, I found this Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit recipe on Pinterest. Looks good. Had to try it.

For me, biscuits are the ultimate comfort food. They remind me of my Grammy, who also loved biscuits and taught me how to make them. I remember visiting her house and being so excited to get in the kitchen and help her make her famous buttermilk biscuits. To my Grammy, the most important tool for a good biscuit is a pastry blender. This handy tool allows you to easily "cut" the butter into the flour mixture so the biscuit bakes up fluffy and flaky. Granted I had to change a few things from her original recipe since it called for ingredients like "crisco", but nonetheless, whenever I make them I think of her. 


Last night, I further adapted Grammy's biscuit recipe to include garlic and cheese - two of my favorite ingredients on the planet. I made them last night for dinner and paired it with a bowl of savory pot roast. The combination was amazing, comforting and begged me to sit at the table for a few more minutes indulging in the deliciousness.

Here is the recipe I used (Adapted from the recipe mentioned above and my Grammy's).

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup milk
Preparation:

Heat oven to 475 F. Stir flour, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder together. Add parmesan cheese and cubed butter. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles course crumbs. Make a well in the center and add milk. Mix briefly until combined. Dough should be a bit sticky. On a floured surface, knead dough about 30 seconds. Roll dough out and using a biscuit cutter (or your hands!), form 2 inch biscuits and place onto lightly greased baking sheet (I use Pam). Bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown. Serves 4. 

2 comments:

  1. These look and sounds amazing!! So excited this is in a biscuit form. I have to try these!

    Liz @ Southern Charm
    http://www.southerncharmnola.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! My family definitely enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete