Jun 20, 2011

Party Food

Everyone knows a good party starts with good food. This weekend I co-hosted a bridal shower for one of my best friends. Her name is Deb. We go way back...like, 17 years back.

Meet my co-host, Kat and the bride to be, Deb


Deb and I share many common interests, but our favorites are laughing and eating......preferably at the same time. So naturally, I wanted to make sure the shower menu had lots of good food. Here's a recap of some of my favorites:


Yum.


Yum.


More Yum.

While deciding on the menu, I was reminded of how parties can wreak havoc on your diet. Don't get me wrong, I am a full supporter of indulging every once in a while. But it seems like "reasons" to indulge pop up pretty frequently in life....parties, birthdays, holidays, graduations, etc. Before you know it, indulging becomes commonplace instead of an occasional treat. To help enjoy celebrations without over-indulging (i.e. over-eating), I have a party plan. Here it is:

1. A few hours before the party, eat a healthy snack. This helps curb hunger, so I don't feel the need to devour an entire cheesecake.
2. Don't go back for seconds. I try my best to stick with one plate of food and only one alcoholic drink. FYI - I do this because it's recommended that women consume no more than 1 drink per day. For men, it's 2 drinks per day. 
3. Fill half the plate with fruits and veggies. This helps keep me full, provides healthy vitamins and minerals and lets me enjoy a few treats with the other half of my plate!



The shower was a success! Not only did everybody have a good time enjoying good company and good food but I actually managed to follow my own advice. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment