Oct 24, 2012

Almond Butter with Sea Salt and Agave


Who doesn't love a good almond butter? Okay, maybe if you have a nut allergy, you're not a fan. But otherwise, I think it's one of the yummiest, most versatile foods around. Almond butter also scores high in the nutrition department because it's a good source of protein and fiber, even calcium and iron.

One of my good friends is absolutely, completely and utterly addicted to almond butter from Trader Joe's. She stocks up so that she never runs out. This said friend is also a self-proclaimed non-cook. Case in point: she made a smoothie a few weeks ago and posted a picture on instagram to show how far she's come in the cooking world. But - good news friend - if you can blend, you can make almond butter! So, when I came across this delicious, easy-as-pie almond butter recipe, I knew I had to make it, not just for my one friend, but for all my friends (that's you)!

So, here we go. Prepare yourself for the most simple, tasty recipe your food processor has ever seen.

Start with your ingredients. Are you ready? There are three. Seriously.

Grab 2 cups of almonds, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 2 tablespoons of agave nectar (it's like honey, but with a thinner consistency). If you don't have agave, honey totally works too.

Next, load the almonds and salt into a good food processor and blend (or pulse...whatever). After a few minutes, add the agave.

Keep blending for about 10-15 minutes. The nuts will start to ball up right before they get creamy. Just be patient, it'll happen. I like mine with a tiny bit of crunch, so I blended for about ten minutes. 

Aaaaaand....done!

I enjoyed my tasty salty/sweet/nutty creation with some sliced apples for a snack. Store it in an airtight container in your fridge.


The fun thing about making your own nut butter is all the easy variations you can try. Next time around, I might go for some vanilla, cinnamon or cocoa action.

Have you ever made your own nut butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment